Monday, May 26, 2008


Another rainy day.
I am sitting here drinking the best cup of coffee I think I have ever had before heading to the practice room. The ground is still wet and the earth soft from the drum roll vibration of the rain that has fell for days. My boyfriend Sonnie keeps up with his blog much better than I, and after all he told me to post something new, so here is a little not a lot.
Last night I taught an in store class at Lululemon. This is always an interesting experience with an eclectic mix of students and non-students, teens and seniors.
As the room filled up I asked if the class was anyone's first yoga experience, and a girl in the back bashfully put up her hand hoping that no one would see her. I asked her to come and place her matt next to mine.
I could tell she was about 18, and that she went out the night before and enjoyed what glitter Banff had to offer. She had deep set eyes and was lacking a proper sleep and a proper meal. I smiled remembering the days.
After class, some easy meditation and a resting pose, she got up and looked at me with a different face. The skin of her face had diffused evenly and silenced the crease in her brow, her eyes were sparkling and less vacuous.
She said,
"That was great. I feel different.
It is so nice to get out and do something that makes me feel good in Banff because there is so much partying."
Enough said.
I hugged her and told her about all the free classes offered at the store.
10 minutes later, I was preparing to leave, she was still lingering. She came up and thanked me again with a wide open smile.
I knew she would do yoga for the rest of her life, in some way.
I knew the feeling she had because I am consistently chasing it.
I knew she would have different life choices, maybe not now, but in the years to come.
I felt inextricably linked to her as if she were a part of me.

That was enough to come back again and again.
And again.

The sun is supposed to come up, my boyfriend is supposed to come home, I am moving out of Nicole's.

Big change happening.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

laurisa said...

Lydia..you're wonderful! your words always make me smile;0) happy day!

S said...

I was over that way recently and would have loved to have attended one of your classes, but where are they held? (for the next time). I'll be that way again in September, I loved Jasper and Banff equally.